Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Sissy's Sweet Sourdough Bread

K this bread can be a pain in the butt to take care of but you reap what you sow!! And this bread is DANG GOOD!! There will be no regrets with the finished product, I promise! Read through all the instructions before making. It will seem overwhelming but I promise it will be worth it!!

**TO MAKE YOUR SOURDOUGH START**

In a medium to large glass jar or a large empty peanut butter jar (at least 48 oz) combine these ingredients:

3 Tbls. instant potato flakes
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup very warm water (110 degrees)
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast (1 packet)

ALWAYS dissolve sugar in water when making your start or when feeding your start. Then dissolve yeast, then add potato flakes.

Let this start sit on your counter for 48 hours (stirring once every day with a WOODEN SPOON) **do NOT use a metal spoon or it will kill your start** Make sure you do not seal the lid while it sits on your counter whether in a glass jar or peanut butter jar...keep lid loose so you won't kill the start. At the end of 48 hours, feed your start:

**TO FEED YOUR START**

Mix well in separate container:

1 cup very warm water (110 degrees)
3/4 cup sugar (dissolve in warm water before adding potato flakes and before adding to start)
3 Tbls instant potato flakes

Add to start and stir with wooden spoon. Let it sit out 8-12 hours. Stir with wooden spoon. Refridgerate. You may seal the lid when you refrigerate it. Refrigerate start when not using.

FEED START EVERY 3-5 DAYS

Yields 3 loaves

Once you have begun your start and it has sat in your fridge for 3-5 days, pull it out and feed it. Let it stand 8-12 hours at room temperature (remember to keep your lid loose). Do not disturb jar. Use one cup.

**TO MAKE YOUR DOUGH**

1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup oil
1 1/2 cups very warm water (110 degrees)
1 cup start
5-6 cups BREAD flour (make sure it says bread flour, not all purpose)

Mix all ingredients in bread mixer until dough no longer sticks to the side of the bowl and is not sticky to the touch. (Be careful not to make it too dry, however) Turn out into large bowl and let it raise 8-12 hours (overnight) Punch down and divide into three sections. Knead out air bubbles, shape and put into 8 x 4 greased loaf pans. Let raise 4 -5 hours. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. The top of the bread will be a nice light golden brown.

**TIPS and HINTS FROM SISSY**

I have fed my start as often as every day for 2 - 3 days without harming it if I need to make more than one batch. I have not fed it for as long as 2 weeks without harming it, either. I wouldn't go much (if any) longer than that, however. My ovens tend to be too hot if I bake bread at 350 degrees so I lower my temperature to about 335 degrees and bake for 25 minutes. When you mix the sugar, potato flakes, and warm water to feed the start, mix in a separate container until the sugar dissolves and then stir it into the start. You will know your start is active if you can see the potato flakes "dance" from the bottom of the jar to the top. Within about 10 - 20 minutes of feeding the start, the layer of potato on the bottom will float to the top. When I have finished mixing the dough and put it in to the bowl to raise, I put a damp dish towel over the top of the bowl and then a dry dish towel over that to prevent the top of the dough from drying out. I have fed my start in the morning and mixed dough in the evening and let it raise all night. Then I shape into loaves and bake them in the early afternoon. I have also fed my start in the evening and let it sit out all night and mixed dough in the morning, let it raise, and then bake them late in the evening. I prefer the first method because otherwise I am up until midnight.




No comments:

Post a Comment